Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Söderlings was not kidding last year..

Soderling speech - 2009 Rolland Garros Final

A gracious and happy Soderling gave his speech in perfect English. Mentioning that Federer has given him a lesson in how to play, and that he is the greatest player in history who deserved the win. He entertainingly recounted: “My coach and I were ‘Yoking’ (lovely Swedish accent on ‘Joking’) that I could win this match because no one can beat me 10 times in a row” (Federer had already beaten him 9 times to date), “it seems we were wrong, but not 11!” A friendly challenge to the next time they meet on the court.
I’ve never seen anyone so happy to be the runner up, I think he was genuinely happy to be in the final and playing against Federer, and you don’t see that in many other sports. A true respect for sportsmanship and your opponent is a great thing to see.
----
Extracted from: French Open final interviews from Roger Federer and Robin Soderling
By: Tania Leach
http://www.examiner.com/x-7304-DC-Recreation-Examiner~y2009m6d7-French-Open-final-interviews-from-Roger-Federer-and-Robin-Soderling

No comments:

Post a Comment